Sunday, October 16, 2011

Challenge!

Now presenting a new feature...Challenges for People Who Think These Things Are Challenging. Whether or not that's honestly catchy, here we go.

I am formally challenging myself (and anyone else who may care to join in) to do the following:

Each time you order a meal from a restaurant, try something you have not ordered recently.

I find this hard, because I often find one thing I like and I end up in a rut, ordering it every time, because...I know it will be fine, I know it won't be too spicy, I can withstand judgment about it because I have had it before and I am confident in my (repeated) decision, I know I won't have to order something else instead or eat something more later because it's too awful to eat, etc.

So I have been making an effort to try new things. I decided to formalize it here so I don't start slacking off, but I have been doing pretty well! I have tried:
  • Panera Bread's Turkey Artichoke Panini. Good, although not as pretty as the picture. I would(will!) definitely order this again.
  • Taco Bell's Original Chicken Flatbread Sandwich. Iffy, way less appetizing than the picture, and too spicy for me. Not again, but at least I tried!
  • Buffalo Wild Wings' Southwest Chicken Queso Wrap. Tasty, looked good, but too spicy for me. I would consider ordering this again, if I'm feeling particularly brave about spices. I think I enjoyed the experience of trying it more than eating my usual order there, which is cool.
Now for the technicalities...I am not requiring the entire meal to be new to me, but at least one part must be (the Panera sandwich mentioned above was had with a soup I often eat). I won't be applying this philosophy to pizza, because I have tried other things on pizzas and there aren't a lot of options. I also won't apply this to "I want a chocolate shake!" late-night fast food runs, because getting something other than a chocolate shake defeats the whole idea there. Otherwise, it's on. :P

2 comments:

  1. I don't eat out very often, but if I do, I might take you up on it. I'm not sure -- I'm fairly happy to stick to what I know, usually, and don't tend to feel "rut-like" about it at all.

    Maybe I'll just take it up in my own way with trying recipes instead of baking packet mixes?

    I really like that you're doing this, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    I eat out more than I used to, not more than once a week or so but still, it's enough that I feel silly for getting the same thing every time I visit a particular restaurant. ><

    I like the recipes idea. :)

    My at home meals could probably do with some expansion, too, but one thing at a time I suppose...

    ReplyDelete